When you’re able to sell, trade in, or give away your Mac or wipe it for an additional purpose there are completely different steps to the method relying on what Mac you will have and what model of macOS you’re on. Notably, macOS Ventura and Monterey embrace a useful trendy erase choice like iOS. Learn on for easy methods to reset MacBooks and Mac desktops.
Earlier than you reset your Mac, just remember to have a fresh backup.
In case you’re operating macOS Large Sur or earlier, you’ll need signal out of iCloud, iMessage, and FaceTime. It doesn’t harm to signal out of some other accounts beneath System Preferences → Web Accounts, too. It’s possible you’ll need to unpair any Bluetooth gadgets as effectively.
When you’re on a latest model of macOS, you gained’t want to fret about these steps. Let’s dig into easy methods to reset Macs in macOS Ventura, Monterey, Large Sur, and earlier.
Desk of contents
How you can reset MacBooks and Mac desktops
macOS Ventura: How you can reset your Mac
- Open the System Settings app in your Mac
- Select Common from the left sidebar
- Now click on Switch or Reset > Erase All Contents and Settings
- Enter your password if required, then comply with the steps to reset your Mac
Shortcut: You can even search your Mac for “erase” with Highlight search (magnifying glass in prime proper nook or use keyboard shortcut cmd + spacebar)
macOS Monterey: How you can reset your Mac
macOS Monterey affords an all-new Erase Assistant for 2018 and later Macs. When you haven’t upgraded already, it’s best to manufacturing facility reset a Mac that’s operating Monterey.
- Make a recent backup of your Mac
- Open System Preferences
- Click on System Preferences within the menu bar > Erase All Contents and Settings
- Observe the prompts to totally erase your Mac
- Like iOS, the brand new erase course of in macOS Monterey handles the whole lot to totally wipe your Mac
- The at the moment put in macOS model will stay
Right here’s how the method appears:
You’ll be able to learn extra concerning the new Erase Assistant in macOS Monterey in Apple’s support document here.
Notice: In case your M1/M1 Professional/M1 Max MacBook gained’t begin up correctly, it’s possible you’ll want to revive or revive it.
Reset MacBooks and Mac desktops on macOS Large Sur or earlier
- Make a recent backup of your Mac
- Signal out of iCloud (System Preferences > Apple ID > Overview > Signal Out)
- Signal out of iMessage and FaceTime (in Preferences for every app)
- Reset NVRAM (see under for particulars on steps 4-7)
- Boot into macOS Restoration
- Erase your startup disk
- Reinstall a recent copy of macOS
Apple notes in a support document that resetting the NVRAM is vital to do for Intel Macs with out the Apple T2 Safety Chip because it wipes out person settings and restores safety defaults. Right here’s easy methods to do it:
Shut down your Mac, then flip it on and instantly press and maintain these 4 keys collectively: Possibility, Command, P, and R. Launch the keys after about 20 seconds.
Boot into macOS Restoration
On Apple Silicon Macs
- Energy down your Mac if it’s on
- Press and maintain the ability button to show it on and proceed to carry it till you see the startup choices
- Select macOS Restoration
- Choose Reinstall macOS
- Observe the prompts
On Intel Macs
For Intel Macs, macOS Recovery will set up a special model of macOS relying on the important thing mixture you employ when beginning up your Mac (no set up discs or macOS loaded onto an exterior drive is required). Maintain down one of many following key combos proper after powering in your Mac, and let go once you see the globe or Apple emblem.
- ⌘R (Command R) = Reinstall the most recent macOS that was put in in your Mac, with out upgrading to a later model.
- ⌥⌘R (Possibility Command R) = Improve to the most recent macOS that’s suitable along with your Mac
Apple notes on its support page, “should you’re promoting or giving freely a Mac that’s utilizing OS X El Capitan or earlier, use Possibility-Command-R to make it possible for the set up isn’t related along with your Apple ID.” This additionally installs the most recent obtainable software program.
Loading time for macOS Restoration will differ relying in your web connection. When the method is full, you’ll see the macOS Utilities window.
Erase your startup disk (exhausting drive/stable state drive)
- Click on Disk Utility within the Utilities window, then click on Proceed.
- Choose your startup disk within the sidebar of Disk Utility (click on the highest merchandise like Apple SSD, not the amount identify, Macintosh HD)
- Click on Erase within the prime space of the utility window
- Enter a reputation for the disk (Macintosh HD is the default on a brand new Mac), use Mac OS Prolonged (Journaled) for formatting, and GUID Partition Map for scheme or APFS, no matter is advisable by Disk Utility
- Click on Erase (as soon as full, within the menu bar click on Disk Utility → Stop Disk Utility to return to the macOS Utilities window)
End reset by reinstalling macOS
- Again on the principle macOS Utilities window, click on on Reinstall macOS
- Observe the prompts and choose which disk you’d like to put in macOS (when you have a number of drives)
- Plug in your energy cable should you’re utilizing a Mac pocket book
- Click on Set up
- When you have an SSD you might even see a 10-20 minute set up estimate, when you have an HDD seemingly longer
- When the set up is full you’ll see the welcome display screen with the area selector. If maintaining your Mac, proceed on with the setup course of. If promoting or giving your Mac to another person, use the keyboard shortcut ⌘Q to stop the setup assistant and energy your Mac down.
Thanks for studying our information on easy methods to reset MacBooks and Mac desktops!
Learn extra 9to5Mac tutorials:
FTC: We use revenue incomes auto affiliate hyperlinks. More.
Check out 9to5Mac on YouTube for more Apple news: