One of many useful capabilities of Siri on HomePod that’s been accessible since 2018 is Private Requests. It permits customers to make voice instructions that take care of what could be extra personal data from their particular iPhone and iPad. Nevertheless, because it seems, Private Requests are nonetheless damaged with Siri on HomePod usually replying “I’m undecided who’s talking.”
As a refresher, Private Requests occur whenever you ask Siri on a HomePod to do one thing together with your iPhone or iPad apps like Messages, Reminders, Contacts, Calendar, Notes, and Discover My.
When working, the function makes multi-user voice recognition invaluable to deal with numerous totally different duties without having your iPhone close by (however your iPhone does must be at residence for Private Requests to work on HomePods).
The difficulty is that Private Requests don’t work constantly. In my very own expertise, they’ve been hit-and-miss since 2018. However with HomePod software program 16 and 16.1, Private Requests had been absolutely damaged for each my authentic HomePods and HomePod minis.
Once I put in 16.2, the function began working once more, not at all times, however no less than 75% of the time. However now on the most recent 16.3.2 launch, my spouse and I are nonetheless getting the “I’m undecided who’s talking” error usually.
How frequent is the difficulty?
Again in January, my colleague Ben did a poll asking whether or not folks had been seeing Private Requests fail on HomePod. Virtually 1,000 folks responded:
- 79.74% stated sure
- Amongst that majority seeing the difficulty, 66% stated “Sure, just lately,” with 14% saying “Sure, however not just lately”
- Solely 15% stated “No” with 6% Not sure/Different
And plenty of customers have shared about the feature not working on Apple’s Group discussion board, Reddit, and extra throughout the years.
I’ve accomplished quite a lot of troubleshooting to attempt to repair Private Requests a number of instances since 2018 to no avail:
- Ensuring Private Requests are turned on (House app > House Settings > My profile (some customers notice they’ve seen this get toggled off routinely in some way by iOS)
- And ensuring they’re on for every HomePod individually
- Turning Private Requests on/off and doing a clear setup of the function
- Updating HomePod software program
- Double-checking WiFi connection
- Double-checking Siri is aware of who I’m (Contacts > My Card)
- Turning off Hey Siri in iPhone Settings and establishing once more
- Ensuring my iPhone’s Siri voice and every HomePod’s Siri voice are utilizing the identical variant (this has labored for some customers who’ve seen the difficulty however not me)
- Resetting HomePods
Share suggestions with Apple
Apple fastened a bug that was inflicting HomeKit requests to fail with Siri on HomePod with the 16.3.2 software program launch, however there was no point out of a repair for Private Requests.
Together with being irritating for longtime HomePod customers, inconsistent Private Requests additionally provides a tough expertise for these new to HomePod 2 or HomePod mini.
Whereas we wait on a patch, there’s not loads to do when you’ve tried the above troubleshooting steps.
Nevertheless, there’s a simple strategy to let Apple know you wish to see it resolved. Simply fill out a short feedback form here.
FTC: We use revenue incomes auto affiliate hyperlinks. More.