The DJI Mavic Mini 2 is among the greatest newbie and pastime drones. Weighing lower than 250 grams, it means that you can take pleasure in many of the options of a sophisticated drone with out the necessity to register it. These options embrace 4K video decision at 30 fps, half-hour of flight time, sturdiness, and clever flight modes.
And not too long ago, DJI launched a firmware replace to make the DJI Mini 2 much more helpful. So, what’s the brand new DJI Mini 2 firmware replace, and the way does it enhance this drone?
The most recent firmware of the DJI Mini 2 is the V01.03.000. It permits this drone to be suitable with the DJI Sensible Controller, introduces an optimized gimbal FPV mode, fixes the battery auto-discharge difficulty, and enhances the drone’s stability in flight.
Please maintain studying to be taught extra in regards to the Mini 2 firmware replace and the options it comes with.
Tips on how to replace DJI Mini 2
To make sure a drone capabilities with out points or to learn from the latest options, you need to all the time make sure that it’s utilizing the newest firmware model. Beneath are the steps to observe to replace the firmware in your DJI Mini 2.
- Make sure the drone’s battery ranges are 40% or increased.
- Make sure the controller’s battery ranges are 20% or increased.
- Energy in your drone and the controller, and ensure they’re related.
- Join the controller to the smartphone.
- Launch the DJI app in your smartphone.
- As soon as the app is stay and related to the web, it should all the time scan for any out there updates.
- If there are any, you’ll get a immediate asking you to replace the drone to the newest firmware.
- Watch out to not swap off the drone or controller through the replace.
- The drone could restart a number of occasions through the replace too. However that’s nothing to fret about.
- The drone will swap off as soon as the replace is finished, however the controller will nonetheless be on.
NOTE: After updating, be sure you undergo the settings corresponding to Max altitude, RTH altitude, digicam settings, security settings, and so forth., earlier than taking off. In some circumstances, updating the firmware will alter these settings.
How do I examine the battery firmware on my DJI Mini 2?
When you replace your drone’s firmware, you also needs to examine if there’s a pending replace for the batteries too. Most often, each time you insert a brand new battery, you’re going to get a immediate to replace its firmware. However in some circumstances, you might not see the immediate, which can trigger some confusion on the present firmware you could have. To examine the firmware model in your battery, observe these steps:
- Insert your battery into the drone and energy it up.
- Go to Settings, then scroll till you discover “About.”
- This part will present the present model of the battery’s firmware. There’s additionally an choice to “Examine for Updates,” which is able to drive a firmware replace if there’s a brand new model out there.
NOTE: Every battery has firmware that have to be up to date. So, be sure you replace every battery independently.
How do I inform what firmware my DJI Mini 2 has?
That is just like checking the battery’s firmware. See the steps under:
- Click on the three dots on the highest proper nook of the DJI Fly App to entry Basic Settings.
- Scroll till you discover About.
- You’ll see the present firmware on the drone and an choice to examine for updates.
What’s the newest firmware replace for the DJI Mini 2?
The most recent firmware model for the Mini 2 launched mid-2021 (June – July) is the V01.03.000, and it’s about 49.5 MB in measurement. The controller, battery, and sensible controller ought to have the next variations:
- Distant – v04.11.016
- DJI Fly App – v1.4.3
- Sensible Controller – V01.01.00.58
Beneath are the primary options that include the newest replace for the Mini 2.
Sensible Controller compatibility
This is among the greatest and most talked about options of the latest replace. The Sensible Controller is an all-in-one controller with a built-in 5.5-inch display screen, energy antennas, and the flexibility to manage a variety of drones. The latest replace now provides the DJI Mini 2 to this record of drones. Different drones which are suitable with the Sensible Controller embrace:
- Mavic Air 2
- Mavic 2 and Mavic 2 Enterprise
- Phantom 4 Professional V2.0
With the Sensible Controller, you don’t want a smartphone that will help you fly your DJI drone. Whereas smartphones are a great way to manage your drones, they often expertise lags, and their batteries don’t final lengthy.
The sensible controller, however, is extra dependable, sturdy, and the battery lasts a very long time (at the least 3 hours of lively use). The DJI sensible controller additionally comes with audio system and microphones for stay streaming and SkyTalk, a characteristic that means that you can share the footage to social media channels instantly.
Optimized gimbal FPV mode
The FPV mode is a characteristic you discover in costlier drones, however the latest replace means that you can take pleasure in this characteristic on the Mini 2 as properly. What it does is, once you select the FPV mode, the drone locks the gimbal (or the gimbal synchronizes with the drone’s motion), permitting you to look at the drone’s motion.
Initially, with out the FPV mode, the gimbal compensates and stabilizes, so the footage is sort of by no means affected by the drone’s motion. It is probably not as flawless as within the DJI FPV, however it’s fairly enjoyable, particularly when flying the Mini 2 in sport mode, for that racing drone really feel.
Optimized battery auto-discharge course of
DJI additionally fastened a difficulty with the Mini 2 battery’s auto-discharge course of. DJI makes use of state-of-the-art expertise in constructing their sensible batteries. And one of many essential options they embrace is the auto-discharge characteristic that makes certain the batteries preserve the optimum cost ranges for storage.
You most likely already know this, however leaving batteries absolutely charged when storing them or when the cost is depleted, might harm the batteries. A totally charged battery may also be a fireplace hazard. In addition to guaranteeing they’re discharging correctly, you need to all the time retailer the batteries in fireproof baggage.
For extra details about the Mini 2 battery and the auto discharge characteristic, you can read our article all about Mini 2 batteries »
However the difficulty with the Mini 2 is the batteries didn’t auto-discharge when left within the drone or the charging hub. The latest replace fastened this difficulty. Now, the batteries will routinely discharge to about 96% inside 24 hours and to between 65 and 72% after at the least per week.
No matter the place you permit your batteries, with this firmware replace you may relaxation assured that they may auto-discharge to the suitable cost ranges.
DJI is all the time making an attempt to enhance the general functioning of its drones. So, it’s no shock that after updating the firmware, the Mini 2 appears to be extra secure, much less drifty, and also you don’t all the time must rely upon guide calibration.
How do I refresh the firmware on DJI Mini 2?
Initially, it was tough to do a firmware refresh with the DJI Mini 2. That’s since you want the DJI Assistant 2 to do the firmware refresh. However for some purpose, the DJI Assistant 2 solely has a Log Export possibility for the Mini 2. Because of this until your drone crashes, there’s no different approach to make use of the DJI Assistant 2 with the Mini 2.
Fortunately, numerous drone customers have developed a workaround that means that you can refresh the firmware and even downgrade the firmware if essential. Beneath is a step-by-step course of.
- In your pc or laptop computer, seek for the DJI Assistant 2. Within the choices that seem, click on on the official DJI obtain heart.
- Scroll till you discover the DJI Assistant 2 (Shopper Drone Sequence).
- Obtain the executable (exe) model of the DJI Assistant 2.
- As soon as it’s downloaded, click on it and observe the set up course of.
- Choose the cable you utilize to attach the drone to the laptop computer and join it to the drone.
- Swap on the drone and wait till you hear the beep, then join the opposite finish of the cable to the pc.
- You’ll instantly see the DJI Mini 2 seem in Google Assistant. Click on on it.
- At this level, you’ll solely see the log Export possibility.
- Press Again and swap off the drone.
- Take away the cable from the pc and exit the DJI Assistant 2.
- In your pc, entry the Program Information (X86).
- Open this folder, search for “DJI Product, ” and click on on DJI Assistant 2.
- Click on on DJI Engine and scroll right down to defaultsettings.
- Open the default settings Notepad file.
- At this command “upgrade_enable=0” change the 0 to 1. So, it is going to be “upgrade_enable=1”. Then click on Save.
- You would possibly get a immediate that you simply don’t have permission to edit the file until you’re an admin.
- Shut the defaultsettings, right-click on it, go to Properties > Safety >Edit, and Enable all of the choices.
- Now return to default settings and repeat the identical technique of changing 0 with 1 and save.
- Open the DJI Assistant 2 App.
- Swap on the drone, await a beep, and plug the cable into the pc.
- When the Mini 2 seems on the Assistant 2 app, click on on it.
- When you did every thing proper, you need to see the Firmware Replace possibility.
- Whenever you click on on it, you’ll see all of the out there firmware.
- You’ll be able to select to Refresh or Downgrade.
Beneath is an easy-to-follow video.
Does the DJI Mini 2 work with the DJI Assistant 2?
Sure, the Mini 2 does work with DJI Assistant 2, although it’s fairly restricted in how you should utilize it. As talked about earlier, the one possibility out there is the log Export. However there are workarounds permitting you to make use of it to conduct a firmware refresh. See the steps given above.
What’s the proper app for the DJI Mini 2?
For the DJI Mini 2, Mavic Mini 2, DJI FPV, DJI Mavic Air 2, Mini SE, and Mavic 3, you need to use the DJI Fly App.
To be taught extra about which DJI app you want to your drone, see our article about DJI apps »
And there you could have it. Earlier than you go flying, be sure you examine if in case you have the newest model of the Mini 2 Firmware or examine if there’s a latest replace. Whereas the Mini 2 is already a terrific drone, it might all the time use extra options to make it even higher. I particularly would like to see some updates corresponding to bettering it to a 4K 60 fps drone or the addition of the Comply with Me characteristic or impediment avoidance in a future replace.