We depend on Bluetooth for many units so it may be irritating when our peripherals don’t work usually. Learn alongside for five suggestions and methods to repair Mac Bluetooth points, together with resetting your Bluetooth module and methods to take away interference.
Desk of contents
Whether or not you’ve received an Apple Silicon Mac or are having bother with Bluetooth on an Intel machine, we’ll cowl a number of approaches to repair Mac Bluetooth points.
Easy methods to repair Mac Bluetooth points
Software program replace, energy cycle, unpair
You’ve most likely tried these steps, but when not, begin right here:
- Verify if macOS is updated ( > About This Mac > Software program Replace or System Preferences > Common > Software program Replace)
- Be certain your Bluetooth system is charged
- Flip off your Bluetooth system and again on once more, you are able to do the identical with Bluetooth in your Mac (click on the Bluetooth icon within the menu bar – prime proper of your Mac’s display)
- It’s also possible to unpair a Bluetooth system and re-pair it to see if there’s an enchancment (Bluetooth within the menu bar > Bluetooth preferences/settings > hover over a tool > click on the “x” icon (Disconnect in macOS Ventura) > select “Take away”)
- Reboot your Mac
Take away interference
Apple notes in a support document that when you’re seeing intermittent Bluetooth points, it’s good to test for interference. Ideas embrace:
- Deliver your Mac and Bluetooth units nearer collectively
- Take away different units like telephones, cameras, energy cables, and many others. that may be in your desk or close by
- Transfer some WiFi units to 5GHz since Bluetooth and WiFi each use 2.4GHz
- Transfer USB/Thunderbolt hubs additional away out of your Mac and Bluetooth units (and don’t place them on prime of your Mac)
- Flip off USB units that aren’t in use
- Don’t have supplies between your Mac and Bluetooth units like steel or concrete
Reset your Mac’s Bluetooth module
Have in mind this may disconnect all your Bluetooth equipment together with your mouse/keyboard. Ensure you have a wired keyboard/mouse for Mac desktops.
In macOS Ventura and Monterey
Should you’re nonetheless having bother with Bluetooth points, you’ll be able to reset your Mac’s Bluetooth Module:
The choice + shift + click on on the Bluetooth icon within the menu bar (detailed beneath) doesn’t present a Bluetooth reset choice in Monterey and later so that you’ll have to run a Terminal command.
- Open Terminal
- Sort within the command “sudo pkill bluetoothd”
- Press return, then enter your password if requested
- Reset your Mac
In macOS Massive Sur or earlier
- Whereas holding choice + shift in your keyboard, click on the Bluetooth icon within the menu bar
- Click on “Reset the Bluetooth module”
- On the affirmation immediate, select “OK”
- Your Bluetooth units will disconnect for a second because the module resets and may mechanically reconnect
Right here’s how this seems:
Take away all units + reset Bluetooth module
If that didn’t work, you’ll be able to take away all your Bluetooth units after which reset the module when you’re operating Massive Sur or earlier (consider you’ll have to re-pair all your Bluetooth units after this):
- Maintain choice + shift in your keyboard and click on the Bluetooth icon once more
- This time, select “Take away all units” > click on OK
- Do choice + shift on Bluetooth within the menu bar once more > click on “Reset the Bluetooth module”
- Re-pair your Bluetooth system(s)
Have a dongle?
This isn’t at all times an excellent answer relying in your setup, but when your Bluetooth system got here with a USB dongle for a direct connection, that ought to get rid of Bluetooth points.
The most typical units to return with USB dongles are third-party mice and keyboards.
Should you’re having particular points with scrolling, monitoring, and extra with Apple’s Magic Mouse or Magic Trackpad, there are some extra ideas in this support document.
Thanks for testing this information on repair Mac Bluetooth points!
Learn extra 9to5Mac tutorials:
FTC: We use earnings incomes auto affiliate hyperlinks. More.